Monday, February 1, 2016

April Showers Bring May Flowers: Nanny Rose in Memorium



I remember when I found out I was pregnant with the girls I lifted my phone to call my Nana and then I remembered she would never pick up her earthly phone again. It was like being stabbed in the gut. I've never screamed like I screamed in that moment. It was like it had just happened. 

When she died I didn't cry. I held her hand. I kissed her and I said goodbye as she was taken off of life support. I never cried because I wasn't raised to see death as this horrible thing. I view death as the freeing of our spirits from the limitations of a physical body. Anywho, I've had so much happen in my life in the years since her death and I just needed to share it with my Nana. So I decided to write her. I know she will never read the words, but I still needed to write them. We will do this every year. I will write because it helps me grieve her. It helps me feel like I'm still connected to her and I feel like it will connect my girls to her.

My Grandmother Rose died in January 2009. Her birth month was February, but its still dreary outside in February. I didn't think a dreary day matched the Spirit of such a beautiful soul, so we waited until May. April Showers bring May flowers...and my favorite flower is Rose. It always will be.



"A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth. It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart." Ecclesiastes 7:1-2 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment