Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Pits...Natural Alternatives to Conventional Deodorant

I started looking for natural alternatives to the conventional deodorants and antiperspirants because I knew I was going to be exclusively breastfeeding my little one and I felt a little weird about putting known carcinogens (aluminum, parabens, and triclosan) so close to her. In the western world, we've been conditioned to think of sweat as an enemy; as something unhygienic, but that couldn't be further from the truth. These known carcinogens are the ingredients in deodorant that stop us from perspiring. I know, I know sweat is yucky, but that's only because in the Western World we've been conditioned to think of sweat that way. In actuality, sweat is our body's natural coolant and toxin removal system. There are some toxins in the body that can only leave the body through sweat. Now let's think about that. There are thousands of known toxins in our bodies every single day and by using antiperspirants we are keeping those nasty toxins INSIDE OUR BODIES! THAT'S what's gross! I noticed that when I would shower I would scrub and scrub and scrub, but I couldn't get the old deodorant from under my arms. That's problematic in itself, so the hunt for an aluminum-free deodorant began.


 Tom's of Maine deodorant in the wild lavender scent was the first deodorant I tried out. I started this process in the summer months in the United States' South. That proved to be a complete bust! I sweat tremendously and I stunk so bad. I knew I could get used to the amount of sweat (hey, it's normal), but I couldn't deal with that stench. I figured if so many people were able to rave about this deodorant it must be something I'm doing wrong.  This led me to Google for a way to exfoliate my armpits. I ended up finding a detox recipe from www.wellnessmama.com using Aztec clay and apple cider vinegar.  The science behind this is that if you've been using an aluminum-filled deodorant for any amount of time, you've clogged your pores with this "metal." You need to first detox your armpits and then try the natural deodorant. This clay somehow pulls the metals from your body. You can actually feel the tightening as you use this mask. It's really cool.


Armpit Detox Recipe
2 Tablespoons of Aztec Indian Healing Clay
2 Tablespoons Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Enough water to form a paste
No metal utensils or bowls

Apply paste to underarms and relax for 5-20 minutes maximum.

Ok, so I detoxed my armpits every night for a month and then revisited the Tom's deodorant. Nope, still a bust. I almost gave up and just started using the conventional deodorant again, but when I would nurse my baby I just couldn't bring myself to do her like that. 
I went to my local Whole Foods Market and grabbed the Nubian Heritage Honey and Black Seed 24 Hour All Natural Deodorant. I really wanted this product to work because I spent almost $9 on it and because it's a black-owned company and that's really important to me. Alas, this product failed me as well. It smells amazing and maybe for the person who doesn't have sensitive skin this product might work great, but it burned like all hell. I haven't been able to pinpoint which ingredient caused me the discomfort, but I ditched this product. It also had this weird sticky feeling upon application. So uncomfortable!


Just kind of fiddling around in the body care aisle at Whole Foods I stumbled across this Magnesium Oil Spray. If you've read my blog for any amount of time you've heard me rave about the benefits of magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom salt) as a mood stabilizer. If you can't poop take an epsom salt bath. If you're sore take an epsom salt bath. If you're moody on your period take an epsom salt bath. I think you get my point. If you're ailing more than likely you just need to increase the magnesium in your body. Most of us are suffering from a magnesium deficiency and we don't even know it. But anywho, back on subject. I was reading the label and it mentioned how you could use it as a deodorant. How cool is that? I went home, showered and squirted in under my pits all willy nilly and it stung like fire. But that's completely normal! The first few times you use it you will sting, but that's only if you have a magnesium deficiency. After a few uses you won't sting anymore, but if the stinging bothers you too much just rub it in and then apply some coconut oil. You know how if you go to the beach and get in the ocean when you leave you'll feel this gritty feeling on your skin? That's exactly how your pits will feel, but thats ok. You're killing two birds with one stone. You're increasing your magnesium intake which will get rid of headaches, body aches, and insomnia while moisture-wicking! I've only been using it for about a week, but I'll never go back to a different deodorant ever.

If any of these products worked for you tell me in the comments. I don't have all the answers. I'm still learning just like you. Let's grow together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment