Wednesday, December 7, 2016

4th trimester (newborn phase)




  • An Infant Carrier: The Baby K'taan has helped tremendously in allowing me to keep up with the twins, cook dinner, wash dishes, and keep my infant close to me whenever we are out of the house. You'd be surprised how a newborn can make complete strangers forget all about personal space/boundaries. The carrier allows me to move freely while keeping my baby close. It also allows her to adjust to OUR daily routine. She is also able to smell me, nurse, and hear my heartbeat. She almost NEVER cries. I know some old school parents may say holding a baby all day spoils the baby. That is completely false. You can not spoil a newborn. My baby is adjusting to a new world and she needs my help. For 9 months she's smelled me, been nourished by me, heard all the sounds my body makes...she only knows ME. I am her guide to this strange new world and I just have to be patient. She will catch on eventually. Infant carrying also helps with postpartum anxiety and depression. A crying/screaming baby completely overwhelms me. Baby-wearing helps baby and me feel secure.


  • Journaling helps me to categorize and sort through my thoughts. I'm able to problem solve quicker. It's also easier for me to notice patterns in my behavior, so I can adjust. It's calming. It allows my mind to stop racing. 


  • Breastfeeding. Any amount of breast milk I can give to my baby is so worth it. It's economical, it's healthy, it's always sanitary, and I can sleep while nursing in the middle of the night. Since I can do it, I do it. If it proves to be too much for me I'll stop. A fed baby is most important.


  • Recovery: I made sure to sleep during the 6-8 week recovery period. I napped every time my husband was able to supervise the Super Twins. I relaxed my standards on chores and it made for an easier transition to being a mom of 3. I really soaked up those early moments. Since I breastfed on cue, Ryian napped more during the day and spent a lot of the evening and overnight nursing. It's imperative not to sleep through any of the nighttime feedings because that's when milk supply increases. Growth spurts and cluster feedings are real and the only way to keep up with the demand is to nurse on demand.


  • Light walking: Just like during pregnancy, light exercise is beneficial. It serves as a mood stabilizer and it's a decent form of exercise.The great thing about walking is I was able to begin this almost immediately. 


  • Coconut oil can be used to prevent stretch marks and as a natural alternative to traditional lanolin nipple cream. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties, so it's really good at healing those cracked nipples in the first few weeks.


  • Bedtime/Nighttime routine: During the newborn phase I don't force a schedule, however, just doing the same things every night before bedtime helped Ryian learn the difference between day time and night time. A lavender scented warm bath, a light massage with coconut oil, fresh diaper, warm pajamas, a nursing session and low lights works like a charm.


  • Loose neck tops are the best for nursing. I layer a nursing tank under a loose neck top so I can nurse without having to keep up with a nursing cover. 


  • If you're new to breastfeeding or if you're bottle-feeding after a cesarean a breastfeeding pillow works great. I used the pillow for a short time until I got my bearings with different positions. It's also really good to keep the baby off the sensitive scar area. 



  • Prenatal vitamins don't stop after baby is born. The vitamins help me to keep some energy. When I forget to take them I can tell the difference. I'm sluggish, Ryian doesn't get full, and I don't have as many letdowns as I should. The same is true for water and rest. When I don't get enough of those two things I am a sight for sore eyes.


In the comments let me know some of your essentials for that critical 4th trimester.

No comments:

Post a Comment