Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Terrible Two's

As I type this post the Super Twins are in the middle of their 10th tantrum today.

The terrible twos are that horrible period where the beautiful little people that you fell in love with over the 9 months of pregnancy and nurtured throughout the first year and a half of their lives become the gremlins that you can't stand to be around. Its that horrible phase where they have the capability to tell you that they want a certain doll and they want to watch a specific show and they want to only eat one dish for every meal, BUT they can't explain to you that they're tired or frustrated or angry or sad. So because they have no grasp over their emotional responses to environmental stimuli they just scream at the top of their lungs all day long. 

In the middle of a fit where Addi is asking me for what I assumed was water I oblige what is actually a very simple request, but here's the catch...its not the right cup. In fact, none of the cups I'm offering her are the right cup. Apparently I missed todays PSA where I was supposed to learn the "Cup of the Day." She's screaming, shes jumping, she's crying so hard. Screams for water then turn into screams for "Nannas." I don't have anymore bananas. Total chaos ensues. 

Every day I feel like I'm flailing. Time out doesn't work. Nap time is all shot to hell. And I can't always get them to eat. Nevermind that I've made what I thought was a fool-proof kid-friendly meal. In this moment, I am not enough. I wish I had a solution to the terrible two's. I wish the advice that well-meaning strangers give when my girls have completely lost their shit in the middle of the grocery store. It doesn't matter that I've fed them, gave them a nap, packed toys for the trip...NOTHING WORKS.

I wish I could say that in this moment I didn't blame myself. That I didn't question whether I'm a good mom. But that's not the case. I am not enough. I hate this phase. And its nowhere to being over.

No comments:

Post a Comment