Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Quick Dinners: Navy Bean Soup

Navy Bean Soup

We pretty much have been living off soup since I've been pregnant. I'm not the best cook, but I'm constantly hungry and in need of the best nutrients. This baby's appetite is insatiable!!!!! So, this may actually look like a big pot of nothing, but its navy bean soup. I usually use ham, but we're trying to get away from pork, so I used smoked turkey wings. This turned out so well and it only took about 2 hours to cook. Super quick. Just cut, dump it, and add a bit of hot sauce at the end. Amazeballs! You could even convert this to a slow cooker recipe if that better suits your schedule. Just set the temp to low and cook for about 10 hours. Like Rosie always says, "Yummy! Yummy!"



Ingredients
1/2 lb of smoked turkey wings
1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
8 medium carrots skinned and sliced
3 stalks of chopped celery
1 lb of dried navy beans soaked and rinsed
1 large white onion, chopped
8 cups of chicken broth
3 cloves of garlic, minced
optional: hot sauce and sugar to taste

Directions

  1. Soak and rinse dry navy beans in water overnight.
  2. Add navy beans and the rest of the ingredients to your stockpot.
  3. Cover and cook on low for about 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.

I like to add about a teaspoon of sugar and a few heavy-handed shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce to my bowl, but feel free to skip it if that's not your thing. This is how my Great-Granddaddy Cliff liked to make his.

No comments:

Post a Comment