Thursday, July 30, 2015

More Than Just Another Day

 
Every year leading up to my Dad's birthday I find myself asking him the same question, "Dad, are you excited about your birthday?" Every year his response is the same. "It's just another day." He isn't a vain man. He isn't a man who doesn't want to age nor is he a man who's faking humility. My Dad is a gentle, quiet, ever-sacrificing, loving, and dutiful man to his God, wife, and children. He honestly believes July 29th is just another day. I disagree with him.

I've learned so many things from my Father, but here are just 3 of the ones that stand out to me:

1. A relationship with God is very easy to curate and is essential for peace of mind


My mom and I often tease my Dad about "having church." He's in a rigorous doctoral program and is currently preparing his dissertation. To a normal person this would require extreme concentration. Silence. Absolutely no distractions. Apparently, my Dad isn't normal lol. He LOVES God and he loves worshiping Him. "I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Ps. 34:1) It is not uncommon to walk by my Dad's office and hear sermons, gospel music, or praying. He honors God in everything he does and his thoughts and plans always include Him. Thank you Dad for introducing me to God.

2. Make time for Family


My Dad worked 2 full-time jobs my whole life, but I never felt like I didn't have my Dad. I could call my Dad at work anytime and I always received an answer. He always allowed me to hold his ear. He always allowed me to speak my truth and he's always given the best advice. Growing up, any time spent with Dad was magical. During the summer, he was off during the day and he would take my brother and I to museums. He could make a trip to the Air Power Park (it's a local museum of retired airplanes...its actually pretty boring, but I digress lol) feel like a vacation to Disney world. Even now that I'm an adult and a parent, he still carves out time to spend with me. I see my Dad everyday. My kids don't know a day without PawPaw. Thank you Dad for giving me your time.

3. Fall in Love with a Man who protects, provides, and loves you like your Father

 
Dad set a standard for his only girl. He worked hard, he loved and cherished my mother, his wife, and he adored his children. Because of his love, I never felt less than. I never had to search for validation in a man. I knew to marry my King because all the things I loved about him were the qualities I respected in my Father. 
Selflessness, leadership, compassion, patience, a strong work ethic, and an unmatched love for his family; these are traits of the 2 most important men in my life. Thank you Dad for showing me what a King looks like.


Daddy, your life is a lesson to me and its worth celebrating. I love you truly. Happy Birthday Dad!







No comments:

Post a Comment